i feel the need to elaborate further my myspace blog posted tonite. i owe a huge debt of gratitude to my best friend and roommate, julia, for opening my eyes to this wonderful new career path!
julia mentioned tonite she was thinking of becoming a midwife. that alone, i thought, was amazing. but the more amazing part came when she told me about the accelerated nursing degree program offered at uni. @ buffalo, and that, of all people, I COULD TAKE IT. and succeed! i have a bunch of education classes under my belt (which don't help much) but also some core classes. i could return to buffalo state (when i turn 24) and finish these 'core' classes, which include things like statistics, pharmacology, nutrition, etc. and then move on to the 2 yr nursing program, and become a midwife! i just want to organize this in my head, which feels like it's going to explode from the giddy-ness!
reasons midwifery is perfect for me:
1. long ago, in my idealistic days of yore, i dreamt of becoming a pediatritian, until i was frightened away from medicine by my innate lack of interest and/or aptitude in the sciences. today, however, my curiosity for science is strong and i feel like i could excell in the field if i put forth enough (err... a ton of) effort.
2. i love babies. plain and simple. i mean, i am a nanny! (and, as of friday, an AUNT!)
3. i have the utmost respect for the profession, and the idea of the most natural pregnancy/childbirth possible is ingrained in my philosophy of life. my interest in medicinal herbs and natural cures will be well suited.
4 . my roommate has a psych degree and is going into the acc. nuring prog, and her mom is a pharmacologist... my bosses are a mathematitian and a pediatric neurologist. my mother is a pharmacy supplier, very knowledgable. i can start preparing for school tomorrow. literally.
5. the satisfaction being respected as a medical professional.
6. the gut reaction i got from this idea was... just intense, utter joy. what better a way to feel about a possible career? it's just the same as i feel about what i do now, only with the potential for true financial security and the extremely fulfilling, rewarding satisfaction of coaching new life into the world!
ok, it's way past my bedtime, and i have so much to do tomorrow! i'm off. thanks for listening.